The Clive Christian perfume house was established in 1999, when Clive Christian purchased the Crown Perfumery Company. The Crown Perfumery had been founded in 1872 and was granted the use of the royal crown by Queen Victoria, but had come upon hard times, with declining profits and a fall in the quality of its products.
The first release by the newly purchased company was the Original Collection, which featured the fragrance pairs ‘1872’, ‘X’, and ‘No.1’. The new millennium brought a re-launch for this collection, along with the release of a new family of perfumes. This was the Private Collection, which consisted of the introduction of the ‘C’ fragrance in 2010, the ‘V’ fragrance in 2012 and the ‘L’ in 2014. The release of the ‘V’ perfume coincided with Christian being awarded an OBE by Queen Elizabeth II in the 2012 New Year Honours List. Later that year, a special bottle was presented to the Queen for her Golden Jubilee. Clive Christian Perfume now employs several hundred people and as of 2017, features more than 10 different perfumes on its site, including the newly launched Noble VIII pair.